If you are suffering because of an accident caused by the reckless or negligent actions of another person, you understand how this type of incident can change your life. In addition to the physical impacts of your accident, you may also be experiencing complications in your life as a result of your financial losses. Picking up the pieces and moving forward after a personal injury incident can be a complicated and costly endeavor.
Thankfully, there are legal options available to you as a New York accident victim. You may have grounds to pursue recovery through a civil claim, an option that provides you the chance to recoup some of your financial losses and secure damages for different types of suffering. This could be a reasonable course of action for you if your accident was the result of the negligent or reckless actions of another person or party.
Damages available to you in your claim
The types and amount of damages available to you in your claim depend on the nature of your individual situation. Some of the specific types of economic recovery that could be available to you in your civil claim include the following:
- Disfigurement — These are damages related to any permanent way the accident altered your appearance and the mental impact of disfigurement.
- Future medical expenses — These are damages for your ongoing medical needs, including rehabilitation, therapy and equipment you may need.
- Loss of enjoyment of life — These damages are to compensate you for the ways the accident affected your ability to enjoy and experience life as you did before.
- Loss of income and earning capacity — The intent of these damages is to cover your loss of ability to earn a living, support your family and cover your expenses.
- Mental and emotional trauma — These damages are to compensate you for any mental and emotional duress you experienced as a result of your accident.
Note that in New York, you must first meet the Serious Injury Threshold before damages can be claimed and awarded.
An assessment of your case can help you understand the specific types of damages that may be available to you through your civil claim. This is an important step in order to understand what your case is worth and to ensure that you do not leave any money on the table. Personal injury cases are time-sensitive, and your quick action may help your case as you fight for the full and fair recovery you deserve.