Se Habla Español

Hire An Attorney Who Has Walked In Your Shoes

Our Long Island Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Are Here To Answer Your Questions

At The Law Office of Jeena R. Belil, PC, our motorcycle accident lawyers understand how traumatic and complex motorcycle accidents can be. Our clients often have many questions about what to do next and how to pursue compensation for their injuries. Below are some of the top questions we hear regarding motorcycle accidents on Long Island.

What should I do immediately after a motorcycle accident on Long Island?

After ensuring your safety and calling for medical help, it is crucial to report the accident to the police. Document the scene by taking photos of your motorcycle, the other vehicles involved, and any visible injuries. Exchange information with the other driver but avoid discussing fault. Then contact The Law Office of Jeena R. Belil, PC to discuss your case with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer. We are here to protect your rights and help you get the maximum available compensation for your injuries.

How is fault determined in a motorcycle accident in New York?

New York follows a comparative fault rule, meaning that each party’s negligence is considered in determining liability. The police report, witness statements and evidence from the accident scene play significant roles. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney at our firm can help gather and present evidence to support your case. IMPORTANT: In New York, motorcycles are NOT covered by no-fault insurance. The positive thing about that is that injured motorcyclists are not constrained by New York’s serious injury threshold law. That means, if you suffer a relatively minor injury, you can still seek compensation.

Can I receive compensation if I was partially at fault for the motorcycle accident?

Yes, you can still receive compensation under New York’s comparative negligence law. However, your compensation may be reduced by your percentage of fault. For instance, if you were found to be 30% at fault, your compensation would be reduced by 30%.

What types of compensation can I recover after a motorcycle accident?

Victims of motorcycle accidents may be entitled to various forms of compensation, including compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage. In some cases, punitive damages may also be awarded if the other party’s actions were particularly reckless.

How long do I have to file a claim after a motorcycle accident on Long Island?

In New York, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is generally three years from the date of the accident. However, this can vary depending on the specifics of the case, so it’s important to consult with an attorney as soon as possible to avoid missing any critical deadlines.

What if the other driver involved in the accident was uninsured or underinsured?

If the at-fault driver does not have sufficient insurance coverage, you may still have options. Your own insurance policy may include uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage, which can provide compensation for your injuries and losses. It is important to review your insurance policy and speak with our attorneys to understand the coverage available to you under these circumstances.

How can The Law Office of Jeena R. Belil, PC help me with my motorcycle accident claim?

At The Law Office of Jeena R. Belil, we understand the unique challenges motorcyclists face, and we are committed to helping our clients navigate the legal process and secure the maximum available compensation for injuries. We will work tirelessly to investigate your case, gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies and, if necessary, represent you in court to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.

Contact A Motorcycle Accident Lawyer For A Free Consultation

If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident on Long Island, don’t hesitate to contact The Law Office of Jeena R. Belil, PC. For a free consultation, please call 631-990-3235 or fill out our contact form. Our law office is located in Riverhead, New York, and we represent clients throughout Suffolk County, Nassau County and Queens.