Our Ratings
Justia Lawyer Rating
Avvo - Top Contributor badge
Avvo - Rating Badge

Hit and Run

If you are involved in a hit and run accident in New York, The Law Office of Jeena R. Belil, PC, can assist you from the very instant the crash takes place. Since insurance claims resulting from these types of accidents fall under your own insurance policy, you need to know that there are conditions you must meet before a claim for injuries can be made and understanding time frames is extremely important.

The following is a list of things you must do after a hit and run crash. These conditions are mandatory and must be followed whether you are in a car or a pedestrian:

  1. You must report the crash to the police within 24 hours after the accident (or as soon as reasonably possible – the emphasis is on reasonable: if your injuries prevented you from reporting, that is reasonable. If you felt you had to work after the crash and forgot to report, that is unreasonable);
  2. You must fill out a sworn intention to make a hit and run claim and send to your insurance company within 90 days after the crash occurs.

It is also important to note that in New York, the hit and run car must have actually made contact with the car you were in or with your body. If a car cut you off and somehow caused you injury before taking off (known as a “phantom vehicle”), no hit and run claim can be made.

Many times, the hit and run car will actually be at the scene before driving away. It’s always important to take pictures of the license plate of the car that hit you, if you are in a condition to do it. This will aid the police in tracking down the offending car and if they have insurance, you can bring a claim against their company. Since leaving the scene of an accident is a crime in New York, the driver can be prosecuted with your help.

Just remember that even though you will be looking to your own insurance company for your hit and run claim, they will not be your friend. They will not provide you with the information you need in order to meet the conditions to qualify and to preserve your rights.

If you are a pedestrian who was hit by a driver who left the scene, and you don’t have your own insurance, you can still bring a claim against a New York organization known as MVAIC or Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation, which will cover you for your medical expenses and up to $ 25,000.00 of injury benefits. There are other conditions that must be met in order to bring a claim against MVAIC. It is important to contact a qualified personal injury lawyer quickly after you are injured to protect your rights.

The Law Office of Jeena R. Belil, PC is committed to assisting you with every aspect of your serious hit and run accident injury case. Delays can cause you to forfeit your rights. Call today.

Client Reviews
What do I think about Jeena? Well, she is just awesome. In all seriousness, I have known Jeena for several years through the Greater NYC legal community and have worked with her on matters. She is a knowledgeable, compassionate and passionate advocate. I recommend her without hesitation. Cari Rincker
Jeena Belil has been instrumental with retrieving payments for no fault claims that were either short paid or not paid at all to me as a provider. As a Personal Injury Attorney, she has helped several of my patients during the worst time in their life after a motor vehicle accident. I do not hesitate to call her for her services and definitely recommend her to anyone who would need her expertise. Kris Johnston
I know Jeena as a colleague through several solo and small firm attorney listservs. She is consistently responsive to inquiries and ready to share her expertise and insight to help others. God forbid I'm ever in an accident in New York, but if I am I will be calling Jeena. Deborah Matthews