Our Ratings
Justia Lawyer Rating
Avvo - Top Contributor badge
Avvo - Rating Badge

Personal Injury FAQs

  1. I received a letter from the insurance company demanding I testify at an Examination Under Oath? What now?
  2. What can I do if the No Fault Carrier fails to pay my bills or sends me a denial of benefits?
  3. How long can I expect to wait before the insurance company pays me the money they owe me?
  4. What happens if the No Fault Carrier schedules me for medical examinations?
  5. What will the No-Fault carrier pay if the accident results in death?
  6. Who will pay me if I am not able to work after the disability payments run out (after 26 weeks)?
  7. Who will pay me for the first week I am unable to work?
  8. How long will New York State Disability pay me if I am unable to work?
  9. How do I get reimbursed for my lost earnings from work?
  10. How do I get reimbursed for Travel Expenses, Household Help and Prescriptions?
  11. How do my healthcare providers get paid?
  12. How do I apply for my No-Fault benefits?
  13. How do I know if I am eligible to receive No-Fault benefits?

I Received a Letter From the Insurance Company Demanding I Testify at an Examination Under Oath? What Now?

After you submit a bill, your patient’s No Fault insurance company may be entitled to examine you under oath. Called "Examination Under Oath" or EUO, this process involves intensive questioning regarding your billing and treatment provided to your patient.

Insurance companies undertake exhaustive investigations when faced with the prospect of having to pay significant sums of money, particularly under the No-Fault portion of your patient’s insurance policy. This includes an EUO. The legal justification for an EUO can be found in the language of most insurance policies. Any failure to comply with an EUO demand is considered a material breach of contract and almost always leads to a claim denial. Since you, as the provider, have taken an assignment of benefits in order to bill the insurance company for your treatment, you have taken all of the patient’s rights and obligations under the policy, including the obligation to appear at an Examination Under Oath.

Case law has provided some guidelines on what to do when you receive a demand for an examination under oath. The first thing you should do is contact your New York No-Fault lawyer so that he or she can review the demand letter. The No-Fault Regulation mandates that specific language must be contained within the letter and if it is not there, the demand is invalid. Your lawyer will be able to determine whether the demand is in compliance with the New York No-Fault Regulation.

If you are unable to attend the examination on the date the insurer has scheduled, let your lawyer know so that they can contact the carrier and reschedule at a time and place that are reasonable for you.

The letter will most likely demand that you produce records prior to the EUO. Current court decisions have stated that you do not have to provide these records. However, it is a good idea to review your patient file and provide a complete copy to your lawyer to review as well.

Your lawyer should contact you to discuss your concerns and what to expect at an examination under oath.

It is important to have your lawyer attend the examination under oath with you. Although they can not object to you answering a question, they are there to listen to the questions being asked and to clarify them. Sometimes the questions are vague or not asked in a way for you to answer meaningfully. My job is to make sure you understand what is being asked of you.

Make sure you keep a record of your mileage to and from the place of the EUO and of your lost business for the date/s you are testifying. You are entitled to receive reasonable reimbursement for your time spent as long as you have the proper documentation to supply to the insurance company.

[Back to top]

What can I do if the No Fault Carrier Fails to Pay my Bills or Sends me a Denial of Benefits?

If you do not receive your benefits, you have the right to dispute any refusal to pay or denial of claim by submitting a demand for arbitration to the American Arbitration Association. It is recommended that you submit all insurance company denials to your attorney. A lawyer with experience in No Fault litigation can review these denials and advise you whether they should be arbitrated.

[Back to top]

How Long can I Expect to Wait Before the Insurance Company Pays me the Money They owe me?

The law provides that the No-Fault carrier has up to 30 calendar days to pay or deny a claim from the date they receive all of the information needed to make a decision. The carrier can delay the payment or denial of a claim if they have followed strict timelines and sent appropriate notification to you that they are delaying the claim pending receipt of more information.

[Back to top]

What Happens if the No Fault Carrier Schedules me for Medical Examinations?

The no fault insurance company has the legal right to request that you attend one or more Medical Examinations (Commonly referred to as IME's). You and your attorney, if you have retained one, will receive a letter giving notice of the date, time and place of the medical examination(s). You may postpone the first round of scheduled appointments however, you should not miss the rescheduled examinations, as your benefits may be denied back to the date of the accident. In most cases, after conducting the medical examination, the doctors will advise the no fault insurance company that it is no longer medically necessary for you to continue any therapy or require household help. Based upon this medical evaluation, the insurance company will deny further benefits.

[Back to top]

What Will the No-Fault Carrier Pay if the Accident Results in Death?

The No-Fault insurance Company is required to pay what is called a Death Benefit in the amount of $2,000.00. You must provide the No-Fault carrier with a copy of the death certificate and advise them of the name of the person who has been appointed to handle deceased person's estate.

[Back to top]

Who will Pay me if I am not Able to Work After the Disability Payments Run Out (After 26 Weeks)?

The No-Fault insurance company will continue to pay lost earnings up to three (3) years from the date of the accident as long as your doctor has said that you are unable to work because of your injury from this accident or until you have exhausted $50,000 in combined lost earnings and medical payments. The No-Fault insurance carrier can request proof of your disability every 30 days and may stop paying your lost earnings if their doctor examines you and finds that you are no longer disabled.

[Back to top]

Who Will Pay me for the First Week I am Unable to Work?

The No-Fault Insurance carrier will pay you for the first week you are disabled from working.

[Back to top]

How Long Will New York State Disability Pay me if I am Unable to Work?

Disability will pay you for twenty-six (26) weeks assuming you can prove your disability and it is verified by your doctor and employer (not including the 1st week you are disabled).

[Back to top]

How do I get Reimbursed for my Lost Earnings From Work?

You must submit a written claim for work loss benefits to the insurance company no later than 90 days after the work loss commences. Failure to so do could result in a denial of coverage by the insurance carrier for failure to comply with policy conditions.

Your employer must fill out an Employer's Wage Verification Report. In addition, your health care provider must fill out a Verification of Attending Physician stating you are unable to work because of your injury from the accident. Both of these forms must be timely mailed to the No-Fault insurance carrier.

Note: If you are self-employed, you must fill out a form called a Verification of Self-Employment Income. You must submit this form to the No-Fault insurance company along with copies of your previous 2 years income tax returns.

[Back to top]

How do I get Reimbursed for Travel Expenses, Household Help and Prescriptions?

You must collect bills or receipts and submit them to the carrier within 45 days of the travel or service. Failure to so do could result in a denial of benefits by the insurance carrier for failure to comply with policy conditions. Make sure you indicate the claim number on all of your documentation. Do not allow any of the providers of transportation, household help or prescriptions to make these claims on your behalf.

You may wish to have an attorney assist you in filling out the forms required and providing the No Fault insurance company with supporting documentation.

Travel Expenses:
The insurance carrier will reimburse you for travel expenses to and from your health care provider whether it is by ambulette, cab, car service, bus or train. If you drive, the insurance company will reimburse you for your mileage to and from your medical provider. You must indicate the name of the medical provider, the date of the office visit and the number of round trip miles. At present, the IRS has set the reimbursement rate for medical transportation at .19¢ per mile. Your mileage reimbursement rate will increase to .27¢ per mile as of July 1, 2008. Use the attached mileage form below to submit your medical travel expense information to the insurance company.

Household Help:
The No-Fault carrier will pay for someone to assist with household chores you are unable to perform as a result of your injuries. Your doctor must provide you with a letter stating the household help is medically necessary. In addition, you must submit a letter signed by you and by the person who is providing the household help, indicating the dates this person has assisted you and what they did. Use the attached household help form to submit to the insurance company.

Before you submit the copies of your prescription receipts to the No-Fault carrier, write the name of the doctor who prescribed the medicine, the name of the medication and your claim number on the receipt. Prescription receipts must be timely submitted to No-Fault carrier to receive reimbursement. Use the attached prescription claim form to submit to the insurance company.

The No Fault Carrier is only required to pay a total of $25.00 per day for travel expenses and household help combined for a period of 1 year from the date of the accident, provided that the proper documentation was been submitted to the no-fault carrier.

[Back to top]

How do my Healthcare Providers get Paid?

Let your medical care provider know that your injuries were caused by an automobile accident. You will be asked to provide the No-Fault insurance information to them and they will provide you with an ASSIGNMENT OF BENEFITS FORM like the one attached, for you to sign. As a result, they will be able to submit their bills directly to the No-Fault Insurance Company, and you will have one less thing to worry about.

[Back to top]

How do I Apply for my No-Fault Benefits?

A No-Fault Application must be filed with the No-Fault carrier within 30 days of the date of the accident. An application form is attached. After the accident, immediately request a NO-FAULT APPLICATION from your insurance company. You will be given a claim number, the name and address of a claim representative to whom you or your medical provider can send documents.

[Back to top]

How do I Know if I am Eligible to Receive No-Fault Benefits?

Anyone who is injured in a motor vehicle accident, struck by a car or injured in some way by the use or operation of a motor vehicle is an “eligible injured person” and will be covered by No-Fault. Coverage does not apply to people operating or passengers on a motorcycle but does apply to pedestrians hit by a motorcycle or motor vehicle.

[Back to top]

Client Reviews
What do I think about Jeena? Well, she is just awesome. In all seriousness, I have known Jeena for several years through the Greater NYC legal community and have worked with her on matters. She is a knowledgeable, compassionate and passionate advocate. I recommend her without hesitation. Cari Rincker
Jeena Belil has been instrumental with retrieving payments for no fault claims that were either short paid or not paid at all to me as a provider. As a Personal Injury Attorney, she has helped several of my patients during the worst time in their life after a motor vehicle accident. I do not hesitate to call her for her services and definitely recommend her to anyone who would need her expertise. Kris Johnston
I know Jeena as a colleague through several solo and small firm attorney listservs. She is consistently responsive to inquiries and ready to share her expertise and insight to help others. God forbid I'm ever in an accident in New York, but if I am I will be calling Jeena. Deborah Matthews