Trusted, Experienced Representation For Car Accident Victims
Despite new safety features being added to cars every year, motor vehicle accidents are an unfortunate fact of life on Long Island. We have to deal with a lot of traffic and long commutes, which increase our chances of being involved in an auto accident. Other common factors like distracted driving, speeding and impaired driving make the problem even worse.
After a serious Long Island car accident, contact The Law Office of Jeena R. Belil, PC, for the experienced legal help you need. I have more than 27 years of legal experience, and my firm handles all types of car crash cases.
Investigating And Reconstructing The Accident
As soon as you hire me, I will begin a thorough investigation into the crash and will work to find evidence that the other driver was responsible for causing it. New York is a no-fault state, but you can pursue a personal injury claim against the other driver if they were at fault and if your injuries are sufficiently serious. Some of the most common accident scenarios include:
- Rear-end crashes (also called hit-to-rear): These can occur anywhere, including highways, city streets and even parking lots. Even low-speed crashes can result in significant injuries and long-term pain.
- Intersection crashes: When drivers run red lights, make unsafe left-hand turns or fail to watch for pedestrians and bicyclists, serious accidents occur. The one silver lining to intersection crashes is that there are often many witnesses who can confirm which party was at fault.
- T-bone crashes: These occur when the front end of one vehicle crashes into the side of another. They commonly occur at intersections but can happen in other places as well. Depending on which side of the car is struck and where vehicle occupants are sitting, these crashes can be highly injurious or even deadly.
No matter what type of crash you were involved in, I will work tirelessly to help you uncover the facts and demonstrate that the other driver was to blame.
Assessing And Documenting Crash Injuries
I have helped people who have sustained the following types of injuries after a car accident:
- Herniated cervical disc requiring surgery
- Herniated lumbar disc requiring surgery
- Nerve damage – radiculopathy
- Torn meniscus requiring surgery
- Rib fractures
- Torn rotator cuff requiring surgery
- Facial lacerations
- Head lacerations with associated hair loss
- Traumatic brain injury
- Severe post-concussion syndrome
- Fractured wrist requiring bone stimulator
- Fractured hand requiring plate and screws
- Fractured foot and heel requiring multiple surgical procedures
Accurately assessing and documenting your injuries is critical not just for care, but also when seeking compensation. If you contact my firm shortly after the crash, I can assist you in the sometimes laborious process of obtaining these records.
‘Minor’ Injuries Can Be More Serious Than Insurance Companies Claim
Many car accidents result in what insurance company representatives like to dismiss as “soft-tissue” injuries. Some of these injuries include herniated and bulging discs with associated nerve pain and radiculopathy or neuropathy. I can tell you from personal experience that these injuries are harder to recover from than simple fractures (not requiring surgery) or simple lacerations.
So-called “soft-tissue” injuries can affect your daily activities for years. Since my car accident in 2012, I still have residual numbness in my toe and occasional searing pain in my lumbar spine. I still seek treatment from various medical providers on an as-needed basis when I have flare-ups. While these cases are more difficult to litigate, I will review your objective medical evidence with your doctor to determine whether you can beat a serious injury threshold motion to dismiss.
Be Sure To Speak With A Lawyer Before Signing Anything
How soon should you contact a lawyer to assist you after you have been in a car accident? My answer is always “as soon as possible.” This is because the insurance companies have already started aggressively working on your action to protect their interests and to find ways to pay out as little as possible. Even though you might not be ready to sue, you need a lawyer to guide you through the complex no-fault insurance process and to fend off the negligent driver’s insurance company, which will try to get you to take a check within a week of your accident, without knowing the extent of your injuries. I have already dealt with this from Progressive Insurance Company on more than one occasion. If you take that settlement check, your case is over before you have even found out the extent of your injuries.
When you hire my firm, you are teaming up with a lawyer who has worked on the inside of the insurance companies and knows their tactics and strategies. You are also working with a lawyer who understands what you have been through, as I was involved in my own serious car accident on the Long Island Expressway Service Road. I know what it is like to be a victim, and I know how to help you put your life back together.
Contact Me For A Free Consultation
The Law Office of Jeena R. Belil, PC, serves clients across Long Island. To discuss your rights and legal options with me, reach out today to schedule your free consultation. You can email the firm or call 631-990-3235.