Hire An Attorney Who Has Walked In Your Shoes

A Firm Helping Slip-And-Fall Victims Hold Negligent Property Owners Accountable

In New York, landowners, commercial property managers and public authorities have a responsibility to ensure that their property is reasonably safe and free of hazards. Unfortunately, many fail to take this responsibility seriously, leading to slip-and-fall, trip-and-fall and preventable accidents. Although negligence in these cases can be difficult to prove, the right attorney can explore all potential targets.

After you have a suffered a serious slip-and-fall accident on dangerous private property, The Law Office of Jeena R. Belil, PC, is here to help you seek compensation for your injuries and other losses. And by taking legal action, we may also be protecting others from suffering similar injuries in the future.

Did The At-Fault Party Know That A Dangerous Condition Existed?

The biggest issue with slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall cases is notice. The person or agency owning or controlling the land must have notice of the defective condition before a claim can be considered viable. If the defendant can prove they had no notice of the condition, no negligence claim will stick.

Notice can either be actual notice or constructive notice. Constructive notice means that the landowner should have known that the defective condition existed. For example, water on the floor, an unlevel sidewalk or broken overhead lighting that existed for a long enough time for the owner to notice and remedy it. If the defendant can prove that they did not have notice of the condition or that the condition was “transient”, they will not be considered negligent for their lack of action.

Examples Of Slip, Trip And Fall Accidents

I have helped people who have had an accident due to the following conditions:

  • Unlevel/raised sidewalk in front of a private residence
  • Unlevel/raised walkway at a commercial building
  • Slip-and-fall on ice at a car body shop
  • Trip over an unmarked/hidden trailer hitch at a car repair yard
  • Slip on spilled liquid at a big box grocery store
  • Slip on garbage/wet staircase in a subway station
  • Trip over a negligently cordoned off display at a hardware store
  • Trip on a poorly lit pathway at a commercial catering establishment

In these cases, it is not a question of whether the property owner or manager had bad intentions. No reasonable person wants others to be hurt on their property. Instead, the issue is whether they took the time and effort needed to ensure that their property was safe.

How Were You Injured?

I have helped people who have sustained the following types of injuries after a slip/trip and fall accident:

  • Fractured wrist requiring plate and screws
  • Fractured arm
  • Fractured hand
  • Facial injuries
  • Torn meniscus (knee) requiring surgery
  • Hip injury

Most of the injuries from slip, trip and fall accidents are to the arm, hand or wrist. This is due to the fact that people try to brace their falls by putting their arms out in front of them. The damages can be extensive from slip-and-fall cases, with many requiring surgery and time out from work or school.

What Should You Do After An Accident On Dangerous Property?

If you are involved in a slip, trip and fall injury on a commercial property, make sure you report it to the management at the time. In addition, try to take pictures of the area surrounding where you fell. If you are unable to do so, have a family member help. The more evidence you can create at the time of the accident, the harder it will be for the insurance company to try to say that you were fabricating your story. Additionally, keep the shoes and clothes you were wearing so that your lawyer has the full picture.

In order for a lawyer to effectively assist you, it is always best to contact us as soon as possible after the accident. A great deal of investigative work needs to be undertaken and evidence needs to be preserved, including measurements, photographs of the scene and witness statements. The sooner you contact us, the more options you may have.

Free Consultations Available – Reach Out Today

The Law Office of Jeena R. Belil, PC, serves clients throughout Nassau and Suffolk counties, and we have two convenient office locations in Riverhead and Hauppauge, New York. To request a consultation with a lawyer who listens and cares, call me at 631-990-3235. You can also reach out online.